Did you miss your share counters? May be you have made a change of the URL structure on your site which causes this. A typical cause for missing share counters is migration to SSL (switch from http to https). The great news is that Easy Social Share Buttons for WordPress has a share recover that will help you restore back shares in this situation.
How to activate share recovery after you make the migration from http to https (version 7)
Enable the Share Recovery
The share counter setup screen holds all options related work of share counters on your site. In the settings screen, you will be able to configure the share counter update period, avoid negative social display, additional counter update options, counter recovery, fake counters, etc. But all those options will work only when you configure a design that uses social share counters. If you do not plan to use the share counters on your site the options below are not for you.
The most common reason for the usage of share recovery is when you move from HTTP -> HTTPS protocol.
The share counter recovery options are located in the Share Counter Setup settings.
To enable the recovery scroll to Recover my Shares panel and press the Configure button.
On the new screen enable only the marked options like in the screenshot (others should stay to default state like in the picture).
Additional Changes in Counter Setup That You Need to Apply
Those options are not required for the proper work of the share recovery. But they may help the recovery process works better.
Counter Update Period
Don’t set an update period of counters for less than 6 hours. If your website has fewer visitors it is OK but for high traffic sites, we recommend 6 hours or more. Too small update period will cause posts to miss share counters because your quota for requests is over.
Cache Plugin Background Update
Deactivate “Force counter update on the background when a cache plugin/server is used” if used. The option does a background update of share counters via AJAX call even when a cache plugin/server is running. During the background update visitors won’t see change unless cache expires (cache of cache plugin/server). Using this type of update will lose too many counter access entries without an actual need.
Deactivate “Speed up the process of counters update” if used. Regular calls to a social API happens one by one. With this option, they will go simulations all together at the same time. This speeds the process of the update because you don’t wait for all of them to finish each one by one. But in recovery mode when you send multiple calls to API (one call for each of the page versions) this may cause missing counters – too frequent API callbacks.
Enable usage of the “Increase update period for older posts”
The option changes the flat update period you choose into a dynamic based on the post’s age. The oldest posts will update less frequently than those you recently published.
Ensure Updating the Facebook Counter Options and Put a Correct Token Key
Switch to the usage of Facebook API Endpoint #2 from the Share Counter Update Provider Options.
How to activate share recovery after you make the migration from http to https (prior version 7).
- Ensure that your counter update mode is not set to Real time. To do this go to Social Sharing -> Share Counter Setup and on the update counter field you should see anything different than real time.
- Inside Social Sharing -> Share Counter Setup activate share counter recovery and set a cause of change to be Change of protocol from http to https. The recommended settings should look like this:
Additional counter update options are recommended to be made to ensure all counters will update properly and you will not overload the server. All that options are located in the same settings screen for counters (Social Sharing -> Share Counters Setup:
- Avoid usage of the options for cache plugin server update mode and speed up counter update. The usage depends on resources, traffic to your site and update time but in recovery mode we recommend if they are really not needed to be set to No. The reason is to save server from too much load.
- The option to increase update period for old post can be set to Yes. This option will make all posts that are older than 1 month to have to double update period from the one you set above.
- The option to use Client Side Facebook Counter Update is highly recommended to be set to Yes. Facebook apply a strict connection limitation which may lead to miss share counters on your site unless this option is set to Yes
If you have already made this but share counters are still not showing on your site, please open a ticket inside support system and we will assist you.